Ghevda (घेवडा) is one of the popular beans in the Maharashtra. Ghevda is also known as val papdi (वाल पापडी) or papdi shenga (पापडी शेंगा ) in Marathi.
Cleaning the val papdi
Wash it well. Then remove the strings that run along the sides. After that, split the pods open. Then break them into 1/2 / 1″ pieces with hand.
Now let’s see how to make this simple and quick val papdi bhaji.
- Val papdi / घेवडा 250 gms
- oil 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 Tsp
- Hing / Asafetida ¼ Tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ Tsp
- Red chili 2 Tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander leaves -handful
- Roasted groundnut powder 2 Tbsp
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
Next, add hing/asafetida and let it sizzle too.
Turn the flame to low and add turmeric, red chili powder, Make sure it doesn’t burn.
Quickly add ghevda / val papdi, Mix it.
- Add salt and
Saute it with the spices.
- Add water approx. 2 cups /as per required
- Cover the pan and let it simmer until it’s tender, about 10 minutes.
- Do not let the sabzi become dry. Add water if needed, now add groundnut powder, mix well.
Add the fresh coriander, Mix.
The oil will begin to separate. That’s when you know the papdi is ready.
- This bhaji tastes better if it has slightly juicy in consistency
- its ready.
- Serve it with jowar / bajra bhakri or chapati.