badam kheer or badam payasam is a delicious creamy kheer made with blanched almond paste, milk with a slight touch of saffron for extra flavor. The use of saffron in this badam kheer recipe not only adds an aromatic flavor but also gives it a rich creamy color. This quick dessert is also high-energy sweet dish suitable for kids due its generous use of almonds. Follow this recipe and learn how to make it in just 30 minutes.
blanching & grinding almonds:
- ¼ cup almonds or 35-40 almonds (badam)
- 1/2 cup water for soaking almonds
- 1/2 cup milk for grinding
- 5 tablespoons sugar or add as per required
- 4 green cardamoms (chotti elaichi)
Other ingredients for badam kheer:
. 2.5 cups milk
- 10 to 12 strands of saffron (kesar)
HOW TO MAKE
Soaking, blanching and peeling almonds
- Rinse the almonds and add them in a bowl, then pour ⅓ cup hot boiling water on it. Cover and keep aside for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Then drain all the water.
- Peel the almonds. you just need to press the skin and it comes out easily.
- Take 3 to 5 of blanched almonds and slice them thinly.
- Add the remaining almonds in a grinder jar. Grind till smooth. the almonds should be ground very well to a smooth consistency. if there are coarse particles or chunks, then add milk and grind
making badam kheer:
Take milk in a pan. make sure that the pan is large enough so that the milk does not spill out while boiling.
- keep the pan on a low flame till it comes to a boil. Stir at intervals so that the milk does not scorch from the bottom.
- Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolve. Add saffron strands and stir.
- Simmer on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Do stir at intervals. Then
add the almond paste
mix very well with a spoon.
- Let the entire badam kheer come to a boil.
- Then switch off the flame. scrape the evaporated and dried milk at the sides of the pan and add them in the kheer.
- You can serve badam kheer hot, warm or chilled. while serving garnish badam kheer with the sliced almonds and a few strands of saffron.