how to make sabudana khichdi for fasting vrat
sabudana khichdi is usually made during fasting days like navratri so…
when you make the sabudana khichdi, you have to adjust the soaking time as per the type of tapioca pearls. for some pearls 2 to 3 hours is fine. for some you don’t even need to soak them in water. just cover the pearls with water for some time and you are done. so do soak the sabudana pearls accordingly.
few more sabudana recipes which you can make for fasting are https://suvarnaskitchen.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/sabudana-vada/
sabudana khichdi recipe – a delicious dish of tapioca pearls cooked with potatoes and peanuts.
SERVINGS 3 to 4
- cup sabudana (or tapioca pearls)
- 2 small to medium size potatoes(aloo)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- 2-3 green chillies – chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required (optional)
- 3 tablespoon peanut oil or ghee
- rock salt (sendha namak) as required
preparation for sabudana khichdi recipe
soak sabudana 1 hour or for 3-5 hours. Depends on pearls
keep aside in a bowl.
Boil the potatoes , peel and chop them.
in a pan dry roast the peanuts till browned and when cooled make a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
mix the coarsely powdered peanuts, salt and sugar with the drained sabudana.
Heat oil or ghee. fry the cumin first till they crackle
Add green chilies. fry for half a minute
Add potato and saute for 1-2 minutes.
add the sabudana. keep on stirring the mixture till all ingredients mix well.
- Cover and Cook for 3-5 min. On simmer.
when the sabudana looses their opaqueness and starts becoming translucent they are cooked.
don’t over cook as they might become lumpy and hard.
lastly add grated coconut. mix well. close the fire.
while serving garnish sabudana khichdi with coriander leaves and drizzle with some lemon juice.
serve sabudana khichdi hot with curd.